Be just what the doctor ordered.
Through the SUNY Morrisville healthcare office coordinator Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree, you’ll be equipped with the necessary skills to become an integral part of a healthcare team.
The healthcare office coordinator degree program provides you with a strong background in medical office work for the electronic age, with special emphasis on teaching you all about medical terminology, medical coding and billing, medical transcription, computer software applications and office management. This flexible program also is offered fully online, while still providing the option for a variety of courses to be taken in person on campus for learners who desire to be in the classroom.
In addition to course instruction, you also will fulfill a 90-hour internship during your second year of study, providing you with direct hands-on experience in the field that may turn into a full-time position with the employer.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Use electronic health records systems to register new patients, maintain doctors' schedules and update records;
- Apply appropriate critical thinking skills and identify human relation skills in structured case settings;
- Analyze medical language using prefixes, suffixes, root words and combining forms;
- Identify and practice legal and ethical responsibilities of an administrative medical specialist;
- Identify the coding diagnoses and procedures using ICD-10, HCPS and CPT coding systems;
- Transcribe a dictated letter or report into a mail-ready document using a computer and transcribing equipment;
- Identify and apply technological skills including: operating systems, spreadsheets and database management
Upon graduation, you’ll be qualified to work as a front-end office manager or administrative assistant in a variety of health care facilities; have a background of the billing and coding processes in medical offices, hospitals and insurance companies; or be a medical transcriptionist for medical facilities.
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification
Students in the healthcare office coordinator degree program receive extensive training in computer application programs within the Microsoft Office Suite. Part of this training includes free access to the Microsoft Office Specialist Certification Exams. Listing MOS credentials on your resume will show employers your commitment to your future success!
Following completion of the degree program, you also have the option to continue your studies by easily transferring into various four-year SUNY Morrisville programs such as business administration or technology management, or transfer with junior status into a variety of healthcare administration bachelor’s degrees throughout SUNY.
Scholarship opportunities also exist for healthcare office coordinator students. Check out if you qualify by visiting our Scholarships and Awards webpage.
Top Job Titles for this Program
These are the job titles you are most likely to see listings for when graduating from this program.
- Medical Receptionist
- Dental Receptionist
- Medical Secretary
- Unit Secretary
- Unit Clerk
- Hospital Transcription
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Front Desk Coordinator